Hello Region 8,
Our wonderful hospitality committee has put together a list of things to do while you are in Vancouver for our 2014 Region 8 Conference. Check out the list below for some great activities! Download a PDF copy of this list here Things to Do While You You are in Vancouver
Ghosts of Gastown Walking Tour: Friday, March 21 8:00pm. Join your Forbidden Vancouver storyteller on an adventure through our city’s earliest and most gruesome history. You are transported back to the 1800s when Vancouver was a violent frontier town. Only a few thousand inhabitants hustled to survive in the Wild West of Canada. Do not expect a conventional walking tour or a ghost tour, this experience is gothic theatre.
$20 (10 person minimum) Register in advance via firstname.lastname@example.org or until 7:00pm Thursday night at the Hospitality Desk. Meet at the Hospitality Desk at 7:45pm Friday to walk to Cathedral Square together, or you can be at Cathedral Square (opposite Holy Rosary Cathedral on Dunsmuir St.) for 8:00pm on your own.
Unlock Your Creativity: Friday, March 21 8:00pm or Saturday, March 22 at 1:15pm in the Marriott’s Dundarave Room. Feel like a quieter evening or have an hour to wait for your flight home? Create three handmade cards or a Vancouver-themed scrapbook layout to record your travel experience. With SFU staff member and Stampin’ Up consultant Melissa Ilagan.
$15 either option. Register at the Hospitality Desk. Participants in Saturday’s class are welcome to bring and store their luggage in the room.
Nuba in Gastown (Lebanese) 207 West Hastings St.
The Copper Chimney (Indian) 567 Hornby St.
The Alibi Room (Beer Lovers’ Pub) 157 Alexander St. at Main
Hapa Izakaya (Japanese) 909 West Cordova St.
Cardero’s (West Coast, Fish, Pizza) 1583 Coal Harbour Quay
Reservations are for 6:30pm, please meet at 6:15pm at the Hospitality Desk.
Non-Committee Sponsored Activities:
- NHL hockey Canucks vs. Predators (the team Carrie Underwood’s husband plays for) 7:00pm Wednesday, March 19th. Tickets start at $68. Visit www.tickemaster.ca for more details
- Runner? Meet at lululemon on 1148 Robson Street between Bute & Thurlow at 5:45pm Wednesday for a free guided run through the area
DURING/AFTER THE CONFERENCE
Free/Almost Free Attractions
- Walking Distance
- Yoga at lululemon, on Robson St between Bute & Thurlow. Hatha Thursday morning 7:30-8:30am in English & Japanese. Flow Sunday morning 8:45-9:45am, mats provided
- Stanley Park www.tourismvancouver.com/do/explore/stanley-park-complete-guide/
- Robson Street www.robsonstreet.ca
- Canada Place www.canadaplace.ca
- Pacific Centre Mall www.pacificcentre.ca
- Philosopher’s Café – “Certainty” Thursday 2:00pm SFU’s Vancouver Campus room 2250 www.sfu.ca/philosopherscafe
- Transit Required
Other Recommended Attractions (all prices in Canadian dollars)
- Walking Distance
- The Ghosts of Gastown – character-led walking tour 8:00pm Friday Tickets $20 arranged by your conference committee. See page one for details
- The Vancouver Art Gallery ($17) www.vanartgallery.bc.ca
- The Vancouver Aquarium ($25) www.vanaqua.org
- Fly Over Canada film at Canada Place ($18) www.flyovercanada.com
- Hop On/Hop Off Vancouver Trolley Tour ($40) pick-up/drop-off point in front of our hotel www.vancouvertrolley.com great deal – two day pass for $45
- Transit Required
- Molson Brewery Tours – please arrange a safe return ride ($20) www.vancouverfoodtour.com/tours/molson-brewery/
- Granville Island Brewery Tasting ($10) gib.ca/about/tours-tastings/ (use the False Creek Ferries for extra fun!)
- Capilano Suspension Bridge www.capbridge.com ($32) free shuttle at Canada Place
- Grouse Mountain Gondola ($40) www.grousemountain.com/skyride
- Telus World of Science ($22.50) www.telusworldofscience.com
- VanDusen Botanical Gardens ($8) www.vandusen.org
- UBC Museum of Anthropology ($17) www.moa.ubc.ca