January 15, 2013 is a red letter day. It’s the deadline for the Call for Proposals for the Alaska 2013 conference. It also the deadline for the Call of Nominations for leadership positions in the region.
CALL FOR PROPOSALS:
The 2013 conference planning committee invites electronic submissions of proposals for presentation at the Region 8 conference, April 29th – May 1, 2013, in Anchorage, Alaska. Example topics for proposals may include: advising and technology; advising students with academic difficulties and/or disabilities; advising the whole student; assessment; advising athletes; working with students in crisis; advising transfer/nontraditional students; achieving balance in advising; best practices; career advising; challenges; faculty involvement; gender issues; pre-health advising; advising first-generation students; preventing burnout; advising international students; retention; students in probation; addressing student engagement and stress; working with graduate students; mentoring; and using student development theories in advising. [More information: Contact Conference Co-Chairs Linda Morgan or Nicole Kent.]
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: [More information: Contact Region Chair Sally Garner.]
The Region 8 Steering Committee is now accepting nominations for the following positions: Budget Coordinator, Communications Coordinator, Alaska State Liaison, Idaho State Liaison, British Columbia Province Liaison and Vancouver 2014 Conference Chair.
- Manage the regional budget. Assure it is in compliance with NACADA executive office standards
- Provides fiscal planning for future strategic initiatives
- In conjunction with the Region Chair, approves large expenditures over $500 for the region
- Serve as financial consultant to state/province/territory conferences as requested
- Manage and update content for Region 8 website, blog and Facebook page
- Assist with publicity for annual Regional conference, as well as state/province/territory level professional development events of interest to members
- Coordinate communication for Region 8 awards, scholarship and leadership programs
- Develop and maintain the regional communication plan in consultation with the steering committee
- Work with NACADA to liaison to the press on any regional issues meriting that type of publication
- Works with the province/state/territory liaisons on communication related to membership initiatives
Alaska State Liaison | Idaho State Liaison | British Columbia Province Liaison
- Represent province/state/territory interests at the regional level
- Promote NACADA membership amongst academic advisors in the province/state/territory
- Participate in setting goals, strategy, and budget for the region
- Encourage and facilitate awards nomination process amongst schools in their province/state/territory
- Encourage local professional development through province/state/territory level conferences
Vancouver 2014 Conference Chair
- Chair (or co-chair) the conference planning committee for the Vancouver 2014 regional conference
- Recruit chairs for the multiple planning committee sub-groups (proposals, theme/logo, keynote speaker, door prizes, hospitality, volunteers, etc.)
- Liaison with the conference hotel
- Provide regular planning updates to the Region chair and the steering committee
Eligibility and expectations:
- All nominees must have been a NACADA member for at least one year at the time of nomination.
- State or Province Liaison nominations must be from individuals working in that state/province. The Budget and Communications Coordinator positions are open to all Region 8 members. Preference for the Vancouver 2014 Conference Chair will be given to a Vancouver-based individual.
- Elected individuals for the Coordinator and Liaison positions serve a two-year term. Individuals are limited to two consecutive terms in the same position.
- Coordinator and Liaison terms begin at the start of the next regional conference. Steering committee members are expected to attend all Region 8 conferences during their tenure (three in total for a one-term member). Annual conference attendance is encouraged, but not mandatory.
- Steering committee members participate in multiple teleconference meetings each year.
Application and election process
- The nomination form is online: NOMINATION DEADLINE: January 15, 2013, 11:59PM PST.
- Elections will be held electronically in February. Results will be announced in March.